What helps calm OCD?
- Practice mindfulness to manage stress. Two key characteristics of OCD are high anxiety and the presence of intrusive thoughts.
- Get plenty of exercise.
- Sleep well and enough.
- Avoid nicotine and alcohol.
- Reach out to family and friends.
- Find an ERP therapist.
Does mindfulness meditation help with intrusive thoughts?
And now, new research shows that mindfulness meditation actually reduces the subjective experience of intrusive thoughts popping into your head. The study, from University of Southampton, assigned 77 people to one of three groups, and briefly instructed them on different types of meditation/mindfulness.
How do I practice mindfulness for anxiety and OCD?
- Purposeful breaks or pauses taken throughout the day.
- Meditations that take place while seated, walking or moving.
- Meditative practice combined with physical activity, such as yoga or sports.