If you’re aware of a habit you’d like to break, you may be wondering if meditation can help. The research says yes, meditation works to stop bad habits.
How do you break a habit of mindfulness?
Here are five ways practicing mindfulness meditation can do just that.
- Recognize and accept your bad habits for what they are.
- Understand root causes and triggers.
- Set an intention and have realistic digestible goals.
- Distract yourself with meditation when you’re getting an urge.
- Be kind to yourself if you fail.
How do you break an unhealthy habit?
Break Bad Habits
- Avoid tempting situations.
- Replace unhealthy behaviors with healthy ones.
- Prepare mentally.
- Enlist support.
- Reward yourself for small steps.
What are the 7 steps to breaking a habit?
Improve Yourself: 7 Simple Steps to Break Bad Habits
- Be Honest with Yourself.
- Figure Out the “Why”
- Set Goals and Create a Plan.
- Write Those Goals Down.
- Tell a Friend About Your Goals.
- Give Yourself Some Time.
- Don’t Give Up on Yourself.